Tuesday, March 21, 2006

If Cold Hearts Would Break

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


On the crossroads of chance I came across a poor man with nearly naught to eat. I gave him what I could but not what he needs. He needed a skill, a trade, something to live & get by on. And in the world of computers & technology, he could only write his name .. fuck it, I can’t write, I’m too upset thinking of this man, I’m broken hearted over him & almost in tears. I would have cried if I had been alone, but I’m in an office with 3 other people, can’t set my tears free. I feel the need to cry for him, for his sallow cheeks & the hallow look in his pitless eyes, for his non existent belly!

And yet, his state was not what broke my heart most, his state is mendable, with a little effort & collaborate good will, a job is not impossible to find. What broke my heart & stirred my cool nerves into a shivering rage was the reaction of those closest to me, after asking a few colleagues; fellow workers who would otherwise be strangers, they gave me what generous advice they could, then I asked the two closest people to my heart for advice & to look and maybe, just maybe they’ll hear about a job here or there for this poor man. The reaction of the first was anger; I’m quitting smoking he said, & there are millions where he came from, why the hell didn’t he finish school! He wouldn’t be in this position if he had! Stop bothering me with these stupid things. This stupid thing I said, is a human being who happens to be starving & who happened to come to me, I can’t do anything about millions but I can certainly die for one who came to me in a coincidence not of my or his making but of the divine power that brings us all together! And how do u know what he went through, how he grew up or what his circumstances were to condemn him because of his literal ignorance, if you are learned then you should be grateful, not everybody gets the same chances in life!

The second of them gave me pretty much the same reaction but with more zest; anger again. Not because he’s quitting smoking this one, but because of more prejudice reasons; this guy is of this nationality, he said, you really believed him!! He’s a liar, a crook, they are all like that! Try to help him & your going to get in trouble with the law if he did anything, it’s you they’ll ask! Louder & louder his voice rose, labeling me stupid, ignorant, foolhardy & plain dumb! I didn’t give him much of an answer besides asking how the hell he can judge a man based on the prejudice reputation of a country without even knowing that man or even being aware that he exists!! If I had tried to answer beyond this point I would have screamed my head off in rage which I couldn’t very well do in a working place, so I just hung up & swallowed the shakes.

I have one more option left, a kindly old grandfather figure of a man who’s responsible for something or another in my department. If anyone could help, its gotta be him, if not. I’ll take him home & give him gardening chores!

To know that the world is full of cold indifferent hearts is sorrowing & to find out that two of the closest hearts to you are also cold .. I can’t describe how that feels! I am speechless …. Wordless …

PS: This post is dead serious, if anyone knows of any job openings for a simple minded worker (7aris, 3amil, farash .. whatever ..) I beseech you to let me know.

3 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger little Astronomer said...

Thank you for remainding us how cruel this world could be. If there were many people like you it would be a better place to live in :)

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Peach said...

Lilttle A, If there were more kind hearted, ambitious & lovely ppl like you .. it would be heaven ;)

 
At 2:41 AM, Blogger Flamingoliya said...

so sad.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home