Thursday, December 01, 2005

Help Needed!

To all my dear cat & animal lovers, I am faced with an animal moral dilemma. The Black Velveteers are a family of 6 cats in our garden I used to feed, one day most of them disappeared. More about them in the post “Cats & Moms”. Well here is the thing, one of them, a small sized male, came back this morning & he is in terrible shape. At first sight he appeared to be almost wasted & on a closer look it became clear to me that he was terribly sick. I got him some food and he tried but couldn’t eat & I saw that his lower jaw had become almost deformed! I have never seen anything like this, one of his lower teeth is leaning almost out of his jaw & he was foaming in the mouth. I minced the food for him but he still couldn’t eat. I got him some milk & he couldn’t even drink!! The poor thing can’t eat to support itself & if left like that, will no doubt perish in the worst of ways. Starvation!

And here is my dilemma; after seeing that I could no longer do anything for him I started thinking that maybe the only thing to do is take it to the vet to be put to sleep. Otherwise he would die anyway & suffer while he’s at it. So what do u think is the best course of action here?

- Should I leave the matter as it is & leave it in the hands of God?
- Or should I take things into my own hands and take him to the vet?
- Is it even right for me to assume the cat dead and therefore kill it!
- Is it right to have an animal killed anyway? Regardless of circumstance?

I almost took him to the vet right away, but at seeing how afraid he became once I tried to put him in the cage, I started thinking that maybe I was being too rash & maybe I need to think this over a bit more before I do something so heartless. I never thought in a million years I would find myself in a situation where doing what’s heartless was the one way of the heart!

8 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Blogger Peach said...

Mello, I thought so too!

Mcarabian, he's a street cat that bunks in our garden, I can only get as close to it as it will let me. It's used to me feeding it but no handling. I also have my own cat to worry about, definatly don't want him getting that! So taking such close care of it myself is not really an option. I would be more than willing to pay for vet care if it's possible & who knows, maybe ur right & he does have hope after all.

Thanks for the advice u guys, appreciate it ;)

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger I the Beholder said...

Why don’t you try contacting Paws, it’s an animal welfare organization that deals with homeless animals. I’ve read in other blogs that they are not helpful, but you won’t lose anything if you gave them a call.

As a last resort, I think it is best take him to the vet, capturing him could be traumatic, but maybe it is better than the state he is in right now. I’m sure you'll do what you think is best for the cat :)

 
At 9:05 AM, Blogger Ra-1 said...

which is better for it to be afraid? or to die!?
plz take it to the the vet as soon as possible :\

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Abdullah said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:31 PM, Blogger 3baid said...

Leave it to the vet to make the decision. At least you'd know you did the best you can to help it.

 
At 2:40 AM, Blogger Peach said...

Ok. Any doubt I had before is now gone, I'll take him today & see what happens. I'll keep u all posted. And thanks again to everyone ;)

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Sedna said...

Hi.. just wondering what happened to the poor cat :( Did you take him to the vet??

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Peach said...

he's gone ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home