Monday, September 19, 2005

Cats & Moms

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

At about the same time Anubis was born a year & four months ago, a black feline gave birth in our garden to a litter of 5 black kittens. These little rascals became my pride & joy outside the home, Anubis’s street brethren if you will. I called them my Black Velveteers & couldn’t help but feed them every can of tuna, sardines & sometimes even cat food we had. Sadly my dad’s complaints finally caused me to stop after our house became a Mecca for stray cats! In addition to the 5 velveteers & their mom, neighboring cats often visited for a nibble, including a white spotted little thing my brother fell in love with and named Cookie. It was not uncommon for someone walking in to spot 8 or 9 cats lazing about in the garden.

Then summer’s heat started to move in full blast. And with the food supply running short, The Velveteers one by one all moved out. Save for the mother, who I found out later had stayed behind!

I saw her a few times & fed her (still can’t help it ;P). I know her by her tail, the clumsy thing got it cut somehow & it was reduced to a nub! And she is a naturally small sized cat. Seeing her wasted form eyeing me in the dry deserted garden always sent a chill up my spine. Why had she stayed behind? What was here for her that wasn’t for the rest? It puzzled me that all her babies had packed up & set sail yet she was still standing at the place of birth!

I had never taken much notice of her before, it was her kittens I was interested in. they would all lounge around me after feeding, licking their paws and looking at me with their orange satisfied half closed eyes. Two of the larger males would even push their noses against my palm & let me scratch behind their ears and briefly run my fingers along their backs. It was as if they were mine! Although I suspect it’s probably more accurate to say, I was theirs! But the mother always kept her distance. She never came close & never even ate while I was watching. She would calmly sit at a distance eyeing us and wait for me to leave. And yet they all left. And here she was!

Until a few weeks ago it remained a mystery to me why she had stayed behind, until that is, the maid came to me with news of kittens! She had a new litter! She had apparently stayed behind because she obviously thinks it’s the best place to have her second litter! Free food & lodging! Go figure lol. And I apparently have very much underestimated the endurance of a mother, who stands tall and put when all else crumbles to dry dust! When the kids have grown and left, it’s always the mother who is still there and continues to be there. I should have known! Because I already know that no matter how old I get or where I go, when I need her, I will find my mother right where I left her, standing tall and there for me! That when all seems barren & lost, all I have to do is go back to the place of birth, the place of my mother. It pains me somewhat that I had underestimated this fact & had to relearn it from a cat! But that also says something don’t it! Open Your Eyes & Appreciate ;)

I love cats!
& I love u mom ;)
Ya a7la cata b7ayati

9 Comments:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger MBH said...

I raised numerous cats until I had to stop because my mom had developed a severe allergy against them... those cute devils.

I totally know how you feel (towards cats & mom)..

I have a huge encyclopedia of cats!

P.S. :: Version Kuwait is selling a black book, I think it's named "The Cat Book". Pictures of cats and names of famous cats!

 
At 1:38 PM, Blogger Jewaira said...

This post could be about any of us :) lovely Peach.
Cats are very territorial. Also kittens don't have a very high survival rate, usually being ill or run over by cars before they get to maturity.

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Misguided said...

Dear Peaches,

I share your feelings about mother's. They're love and devotion is unconditional.

Truly,
Misguided

 
At 1:38 AM, Blogger AyyA said...

That was very touching Peach, I’m a mother, and I know that the only thing that I did not regret in my life was having my kids. When you feed love, you receive love. I’m sure that your mom is very proud of you, allah 7ekhaleekom 7ag ba3ath :)

 
At 3:43 AM, Blogger Peach said...

MBH, my gosh your poor mom! I don’t think I can handle if I developed an allergy towards cats! I do have an allergy towards bunnies! ;P
The Cat Book eh! Sounds very interesting. Thanks I’ll be sure to check it out.
Do u have a kitty now?

Jewaira, lol tell me about it! We have a war going on here between Nubie and Casper; my sister’s cat!
Bas the Velveteers where big kittens when they left, almost a year. So I’m hoping they did survive!

Jeff, maybe I will ;) meaner than a snake! Lol yeah I had a cat like that once, she dumped us in the end! That’s so sweet of ur mom! See how beautifully nice they are!! Moms I mean ;P

MisGuided, who doesn’t ;) Allah ykhaleehom lina inshallah healthy, safe & sound.

Ayya dear, I’m sure ur kids feel the exact same way I feel about my mom ;) o Allah ykhaleekom 7ag ba3ath too inshallah ;)

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger MBH said...

Peach, nope no whiskers around :/

I raised a hamster once... She died naturally after 5 months :/

Umm, I like all kinds of animals [cats,birds, fish, bunnies, turtles, moles, hedgehogs, SeaMonkeys] & most insects...

 
At 1:14 PM, Blogger ArtFiNaLe said...

Inspiring, gotta paint something related to it!
Oh! If you ever need a few traps, let me know :P

 
At 2:57 AM, Blogger Peach said...

MBH, Seems like we share allota animal love ;) I've had hamsters, snakes, dogs, birds, bunnies (before I got allergic to them), turtles, tiny frogs & even a lil white mouse ;P I was dumb enough to think I can manage a mouse AND cats. The poor thing got his head chopped off! Thank god I wasn't there to see that! No insects though! No No NO, no insects .. ekh! *getting goose bumps*

Art, you monster u!!! Traps!! Uz an artist for cryin out loud ur suposed to be gentle and shit lol

I know! U can Draw my Anubie ;D Pretty Pleeaaase ;D

 
At 2:59 AM, Blogger Peach said...

oh yeah .. I forgot the fish! I still like to watch 'em but I got grossed out seeing them eat thier dead and nibble on each other's tails so I stopped keeping any ;/

 

Post a Comment

<< Home